Contact Us to Learn More
The energy industry has grown increasingly complex. Fragmented electricity markets, volatile fuel prices and shifting regulations make it difficult for communities, utilities and large energy users to manage their energy risk.
Over the last 30 years, Avant’s consulting team has successfully guided its clients through the unpredictable and ever-changing energy landscape and delivered customized solutions that deliver immediate and long-term value.
Our in-house team has diverse backgrounds in management, finance, engineering, economics, accounting, and law. This allows us to address a wide range of issues, create value for our clients and deliver cost-effective solutions.
Our energy consulting services include Strategic Planning, Energy Planning, Energy Operations and Utility Formation:
We help guide utilities, communities, and large energy users through a comprehensive strategic planning process regarding energy issues. We work with clients to review and revise their mission, vision, and values around energy supply and delivery. We facilitate stakeholder engagement processes to ensure broad participation in the planning process. We develop presentations and conduct meetings to communicate the results of the strategic planning process to policymakers, management, and community members.
We assist communities, utilities, and large energy users in mapping their sources and uses of energy and developing short-, intermediate- and long-term strategies that balance economics and the environment.
Key elements of energy planning include:
• Energy sources and uses assessments
• Renewable and conventional energy resource assessments
• Renewable portfolio standard compliance planning
• Energy technology assessments
• Energy and fuel supply planning and procurement
Avant helps clients strengthen operations, reduce costs, and decrease environmental impact—three objectives that are difficult to achieve simultaneously.
Avant helps clients succeed through:
• Electricity and fuel price exposure mitigation through hedging and risk management practices
• Process improvement and cost reduction
• Load forecasting improvements
• Generation dispatch strategy review
• Distributed generation planning and rate structures
• Regulatory compliance, including NERC and regional reliability standards as well as ISO market compliance
We help our clients to become their own provider and distributor of electricity. Avant supports clients in building and operating independent, economically viable, and reliable utilities.
Avant has extensive experience in all phases of utility formation, including:
• Assessing the viability of an electric utility
• Facilitating legal and regulatory requirements
• Conducting wholesale and retail price analysis
• Evaluating alternative business model constructs and power supply scenarios
• Developing a business plan and pro forma financials
• Assisting with incumbent utility negotiations